You can transition your customer to a 2-tier CSP with you reselling and billing Microsoft online service licenses directly to your customer. You then need to add licenses for your customer through rhipe CSP in a few steps before suspending your customer’s Syndication CSP licenses.
The following are the details:
Your customers might still have Syndication subscription in their CSP tenant. These Syndication subscriptions look the same as the one that is provisioned on CSP/Open/Advisor program, but they are different.
As a result, when you add licenses through rhipe CSP the CSP licenses will be pooled together with the Syndication licenses. However, when you cancel the Syndication licenses there will not be automatic license reassignment.
Also, when you remove the Syndication licenses, you remove the licenses from the accounts with those licenses assigned. The difference in licensing programs means users with these licenses have them deleted from the user account, which has various consequences including loss of SMTP aliases and delegated mailbox rights amongst other issues.
The workaround is to move these Syndication license users to a temporary license on a different product, provided by rhipe. This ensures that no Syndication licenses are assigned when you remove the Syndication licenses.
Our recommendation is that you provision licenses that are 1 tier higher than what customers already have, i.e.
- Syndication license user using O365 Business Essentials/Business -> Provision O365 Business Premium in rhipe CSP
- Syndication license user using O365 Business Premium -> Provision O365 Enterprise E3 in rhipe CSP etc.
This is to ensure that the online services to available to users before will still be available after.
Detailed Workaround Steps
The following are the detailed workaround steps to move the licenses from Syndication to rhipe CSP. They look complicated but are straightforward.
- Count the number of licenses moving from Syndication tenant to rhipe CSP.
- For example, 10 x O365 Business Premium
- i.e. 10 x Office 365 Business Premium PLUS 10 x O365 Enterprise E3
After Transitioning is completed
- Reassign the higher tier licenses to your users and wait for a minimum of 10 minutes
- i.e Assign the 10 x O363 Enterprise E3 licenses to the users and wait.
- Previously there should be 20 x O365 Business Premium, after deletion there should be 10
- Assign the rhipe CSP O365 Business Premium licenses to the users
- Suspend the extra 10 x O365 Enterprise E3 workaround licenses purchased
If there are multiple licenses in play (i.e. Business Essentials and Business Premium) then you will need to perform two separate runs of the license reassignment process. Always remember to suspend the higher tier workaround licenses at the end of the process.
Please contact email@example.com if you require further assistance for the transitioning process.